If you are using a MacBook or iMac for the first time as a Windows user, you want to transfer your data. With this guide, we show you a step by step process on how to switch from Windows to Mac system.
Complete Guide to Switch from Windows to Mac
Apple very much wants Windows users to make the switch to the Mac, and that’s why the company has created the Windows Migration Assistant. This program helps you to transfer contacts, calendars, e-mail accounts and more to your new Mac.
Starting with macOS Mojave (available in the autumn of 2018), this program also lets you transfer apps from third parties, as long as they have a Mac version in addition to Windows. For example, if you use Outlook as mail, then your Mac will from now on help you to transfer your entire mailbox including the app for macOS.
Things to do Before switching
Before you start switching from Windows to Mac, there are a number of things that you need to check. Below, in the form of a checklist, we list the items that you need:
- A PC with the most recent version of Windows.
- Make sure the PC and Mac are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Check with ‘Scan’ on your Windows PC if your drive has no problems. Follow the steps on the screen here to solve any problems.
- Keep your username and password of your administrator account at hand.
Method to Transfer data from Windows to Mac
If you have done all of the above, it is time to transfer your data. Start up your Window PC and turn on your new Mac. Then follow the next steps.
- Check that all your programs are closed on both your Mac and PC.
- Download and install the Windows Migration Assistant on your Windows PC. Also, you can download for macOS Sierra and newer.
- It is also available for OS X El Capitan and lower.
- Open the assistant and follow the steps on the screen.
Your Windows PC is now ready to transfer data. Now it’s time to grab your Mac. Do you have a new Mac? Then the assistant opens automatically. Users who already have their Mac already in use can find the assistant in the ‘Utilities’ folder.
Steps to Transfer data to your Mac with Migration Assistant
- Start the Mac and open the Migration Assistant.
- Follow the steps on the screen until you can choose to transfer ‘Data from a Windows PC’. Select this option and click ‘Continue’.
- Enter the username and password of the administrator.
- Choose the PC from which you transfer data from the list, an access code will now appear on both your Mac and PC.
- Check whether this code is the same on both devices. If this is the case, click Next.
- Wait for the scan to complete, this may take a while.
- Now choose the data you want to transfer to your Mac. You do this by ticking the box for each folder. At the bottom of the screen is how much data is transferred.
Your data will now be transferred. On both your Mac and Windows PC you can see how far the progress is. Keep in mind that this might take a while, depending on the files you have selected.
Once the scan is complete, you can complete the installation of your Mac. Please note that once you have logged in, you will not forget to authorize the Mac via iTunes. Do this before you synchronize or download things from the iTunes Store.
This is how you power your Mac for iTunes
- Open iTunes.
- Log in with your Apple ID.
- Select ‘Account’ in the menu bar and go to ‘Permissions’.
- Click on ‘Power this computer’ in this window.
That is it. You are done with the data transfer from Windows to Mac and the switching from Windows to Mac is completed successfully. I hope this article will help you to do it perfectly. If you have any other queries let us know them in the below comment box and we will get back to you to solve all your questions with the best answer we got.